Username: Password:

Author Topic: About the Vyke service  (Read 10362 times)

lunatiqfrinj

• View Profile
About the Vyke service
« on: February 13, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »
1) There doesnt seem to be any source codes for this service ?

2) Did anyone notice the difference in charging? I have Vyke Pro on my Symbian phone, and I also use goText on my older stupid phone.
When I send text via Vyke Pro, it costs me about $0.04 of Vyke credit, when I send from goText it costs $0.01 of Vyke credit.
Also I notice that the goText sms looks like it comes from sender "+Vyke.com" but the VykePro text looks like it comes from "+00447766554433"
Actually that last bit is wrong.. for a phone in the United Kingdom (England) the nubmer should be +447766554433 but VykePro is sending extra 00 at the start. I wrote to them about that bug

So the question is: Can we snoop the traffic of VykePro and find out how it is sending its message so that the SENDER looks like a mobile number instead of Vyke.com ?

Bluesman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • goText
Re: About the Vyke service
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 09:59:36 pm »
Hello,
yes you can use your mobile as sender. Install this mod for the gotext vyke server, from gotext

Menu->Services->New

name : vykeplus
url: www.gotext.org/cgi-bin/vykers.pl
nick: the number with international prefix without the plus, for ex. 4412323423 for the number +4412323423

you will send an sms with a number as sender.

I dunno why you pay more with vyke pro

bye  :-)

lunatiqfrinj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:36:47 am »
I definitely pay more with Vyke Pro.. at least double

That script works well.. but did you notice Vyke have a bug?

I set my nick as 447766554433 (my mobile number without the plus..)

And when the text comes through its from +00447766554433

It should be +4477... not +004477...

I emailed them about that.. Let's hope they fix it, because it confused the heck out of my phone and its NOT possible to just hit reply.. The phone will try to replace the + with the escape code for the country it is in, and end up with (for in UK as an example) 00004477... oops!

:)

Bluesman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • goText
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:20:12 am »
mmm but don't say that you use Vyke account with another client because they could close the sms service or change the website in a complicated way! the scripts i linked you use a "feature" that a normal browser cannot do,i mean change the +Vyke.com to whatelse.
Anyway the source code of vyke script in on our SVN server on the sourceforge page
bye!

lunatiqfrinj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:25:53 am »
cool.. well i think they fixed the bug in their code.. the numbers come through correctly now, and dont worry - i made out like I was using the genuine client, not a third party one. ;) though their client sucks, so I have to thank you for the effort you put in to making this service available.. its already saved me quite a bit of cash, and i'm now looking to repay that by devloping gT a bit :)

lunatiqfrinj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 03:52:12 am »
Small problem with the NEW Vyke service I have noted.. (all-vyke.pl)

I dont know whether it's goText, the Perl script or Vyke website but some part of the chain is adding (x/3) text at the beginning of the sms:

The service limit has been raised to 480 (3x160) characters but this can cause up to 4 texts to be sent..

So, if I write 320 characters

(1/3)blah blah 155 characters blah blah
(2/3)blah blah 155 characters blah blah
(3/3)blah blah 10 characters blah blah

Which part of the send process is responsible for the splitting of the texts?I think implementing concatenated sms in gotext would be the best route..

For more info, though I havent found some concrete specs on implementing the UDH necessary, something like http://smsj.sourceforge.net/apidocs/org/marre/sms/SmsUdhUtil.html
or http://www.cardboardfish.com/support/bin/view/Main/ConcatenatedAndLongSMS

This way goText can present a proper counter to the user like we see in most modern phones: (160/1) -> (0/1) -> (146/2) -> (0/2)
See the wiki for more info on concat sms..
Until then I'll remember to only write 310 or 465 characters in Vyke :)

Zydio

• Administrator
  • goText++ Desk! author
    • View Profile
    • goText++ Desk! homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 07:12:06 pm »
The problem lies in the perl script, it is the one doing the long message splitting.
And it is a really minor problem, bluesman set the wrong maximum char limit, it is not 480 but 465.
I've updated the script right now on goText server and SVN, so please use the "update" function for Vykw in the service list.

We can't handle concatenation in goText as you say, UDH is something you work with when doing low level handling of sms messaging, and when your app is directly sending the sms FROM THE MOBILE phone.
But with goText the sms are sent from websites, we don't have (and will never have) direct control over the sms and its structure (and so, no access to User Data Header)!!
The only way we can support long message is by splitting the message and adding the part string to the beginning.

Anyway if we start to have more and more services with long messaging and split support (like O2 Ireland and Vyke scripts) I can think to add the part count to goText, to inform the user when the message he is writing will require 1 or 2 or more sms (with part count next to the char counter, as you wrote, or with some other visual indication).

spantax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 09:55:11 pm »
Hallo, everybody!

Vyke is the best service,- on my opinion.
Works all the time with no errors.
Account is easy- very cheap one $ for 60 sms germany-germany!
 that means 1ct each!!!
And the first $ (one) is free!!!
After every sms you get a reply how much money is left and how many sms that is worth!!!
Perfect- receiver gets the number as sender and can reply!!
And the settings worked perfect since the first try.

Thank you gotext team: great job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours, Achim